The Bridlepath, Golf Course
24 Jun 2022
Gosforth Golf Club
Formed in 1905. The Bridlepath course opened in 1906. Its first clubhouse was a wooden hut bought for £40 from the Newcastle and Gateshead Water Company. In 1909 a ladies pavilion was added. In 1912 the club's vice president and City Surveyor, FH Holford was asked to design a larger clubhouse. It cost £1200. Male members were asked to pay an annual levy of one guinea for five years, female members, half a guinea. In July 1913 within weeks of the clubhouse's opening, an unexploded bomb was found nearby. The culprits were thought to be suffragettes from the Women's Social and Political Union, who had been attacking male dominated sports clubs. Holford's pavilion has been altered and extended. Trees have been planted which has created a peaceful countryside setting for the course.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.