Mill Inn, Rugby Pitch
21 Jun 2022
Elswick Football Club, Northern Football Club
Northern Football Club is the City's oldest rugby club. It was formed in September 1876 as Elswick Football Club by William and Richard Cail, printers. For 60 years the club had no permanent base. They played at the Mill Inn on Westgate Road, later on the Town Moor. In 1937 they set up their present ground at Gosforth, named after Angus McCracken, player, club president and accountant. The original stand was wooden and there were four pitches. At times they hired extra pitches at High Gosforth Park. But financial problems in the late 20th century led to one pitch being sold for housing. The proceeds paid for a new ranch-style clubhouse, which opened in December 1994. Squash courts were introduced in 1961. The clubhouse is the base for Gosforth Harriers & Athletic Club, which was founded in 1927. The rugby club still fields six teams. The wooden grandstand still survives.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by