Cricket, Football, Bowls
Wearmouth Colliery Welfare Ground
24 Jun 2022
Wearmouth Cricket Club
Opened in 1928 with a cricket pitch and bowling greens. This was the result of the setting up of the Miners Welfare Fund in 1920. The fund was raised via a levy on colliery revenues. The bulk of the fund was spent on the provision of pithead baths, but also community halls, indoor swimming pools and sports grounds like this one. The sports ground is pleasant but has no buildings of architectural merit.
NEHL - A cricket ground predates the 1928 founding indicated on the HER, as per maps from the 1890s. It looks to have been adjoined to Hill House nr Carley Hill Farm.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by