og1.png

16785

Boxing, Rollerskating

Olympia Skating Rink

55.001501, -1.419085

South Shields, South Tyneside

Opened:

1910

Closed:

1932

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

HER Description

Architects were Joseph H Morton & Son, who also designed White City on Northumberland Road, Newcastle. It opened in 1910. Most rinks had closed by 1914 but the Olympia lasted longer because it hosted other sports such as boxing. In 1931, when the rink was renamed the Spa Roller Rink, a Yorkshireman called Arnold Binns broke the world record by roller skating non-stop for 72 hours and 18 minutes. The rink burnt down in January 1932.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Olympia Rolling Skating Rink, undated. Source: Shields Gazette

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Interior of skating rink, undated. Unknown Source

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png