Racquets, Tennis, Squash
College Street, Racquets Court
5 Jul 2022
Designed by Hubert Laws and opened in 1888. Built for members of the Union Club on Westgate Road. Rackets (or racquets) was a cross between real tennis and squash. An earlier uncovered court measuring 112 feet x 62 feet had been built in Newgate Street in 1823. The College Street court conformed to the new standard 60 feet x 30 feet, established by the Prince's Club in London in 1853. The balls were made of compressed cloth covered in white sheepskin. The court is a plain unadorned brick building. It has a viewing gallery on the fourth side, accessed by an ornate spiral staircase. The Newcastle court is only one of two surviving in the north. The other is the Manchester Tennis and Racquet Club, dating from 1880. Squah has since become more popular and the College Street court has also been used for badminton, judo and a creche. It has lain empty since 2010.
NEHL - In the past decade, the racquet court has been repurposed into an office space. Many of the ornate features still exist.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by