Jesmond Public Baths
24 Jun 2022
Opened in 1938 on the site of a temporary tin Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Name (see HER 11431). The pool had Art Deco decoration and was designed for other purposes during winter months. Designed by Hetherington & Wilson. Single storey brick entrance block in front of a top-lit pool shed containing a pool 75 feet x 35 feet. Changing rooms were set aside from the pool.There were limited numbers of individual slipper baths. Indoor bowling began in 1948. The Friends of Jesmond Pool formed in 1989. In March 1991 the pool closed. Users formed the Jesmond Swimming Project, a not for profit company. The pool re-opened on 11 April 1992 following a £50,000 award from the Foundation for Sport and the Arts. In February 2003 a Lottery funded £1.5 million refurbishment was completed.
Ordnance Survey, 1951
Swimming Baths, 1938. Unknown Source
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by