og1.png

11486b

Horse

Blaydon, Race Course

54.966221, -1.712583

Blaydon, Gateshead

Opened:

1811

Closed:

1835

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

HER Description

Horse racing began in Blaydon in 1811, along the quayside. Racing ceased here in 1835 when the railway station opened. From 1861 until 1865 the races were held on Dent's Meadow island in the River Tyne.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png