Cricket Ground, North Jesmond Avenue
19 Jun 2023
Newcastle CC (1830s)
Shown on OS second (1898), third and fourth (1940) editions as cricket ground. OS fifth edition (1960) shows the site as tennis ground. It is still the Northumberland County Tennis Ground today. It has an interesting high stone wall as its boundary with the road. There are two pavilions of 1930s date. A highly-praised indoor court building was built in the 1990s. There is a landscaped mound between the indoor court and the houses on Bemersyde Drive.
NEHL - This ground is likely Newcastle CC's home ground from at least the 1840s. References are made in contemporary newspapers of the ground at this location, "near Jesmond Church". The club had been founded around the late 1830s, though it is difficult to ascertain as there were so many cricket clubs at this time - Newcastle Albion, Newcastle Clayton, Newcastle Standard and Newcastle Eldon to name a few. Newcastle's cricket history is not very well documented.
The ground is shown on the 1890s, having a pavilion on the north western corner. It had split into its modern multi use layout by the 1930s
A cricket ground was mooted at Castle Leazes which is seen on plans of the city in 1869, however this never happened.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by