St Anthony's, Slipway
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
A slipway was located just south of Ellison Place at St Anthony's, and part of it is still visible today.
It hasn't been possible to identify the exact shipbuilder who occupied this yard. Possible candidates are Stephenson, Sopwith or Wilkinson. The slipway does not appear extant in the 1850s, but is shown on the 1890s town plan with a wharf and crane, indicating it was in operation or was recently closed. A similar picture is painted in the 1910s, though by the 1940s it is still illustrated as old. The crane was still in situ.
Aerial photography shows the yard in 1932, though the buildings appear dilapidated and the slip disused. A small wherry or similar vessel is shown. Aerial imagery from 1943 confirms it is out of use.
Ordnance Survey, 1906
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by