William Dobson & Co Ltd. (1882 - 1928)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
The Dobson shipyard in Walker was leased in the latter months of 1882 from Newcastle Town Council. It totalled 4 acres of land for 75 years at £100 per acre for a shipbuilding yard.
Dobson was previously the manager of the adjacent Mitchell shipyard when the amalgation between those and Armstrong took place in 1882. Dobson then sought his own yard next door. The yard at first predominantly constructed vessels for Goole and East Yorkshire, with a raft of orders from the Goole Steam Shipping Co and Hoppers for the Aire & Calder Navigation Co. Most other contracts came from Eastern Europe and the Middle East, constructing and steamers for various Russian, Persian and Armenian companies.
The yard is shown on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps featuring a large yard area with no slips between the Lloyd's Proving House and the River Police Station. A number of cranes can also be seen as well as 3 chimneys on the primary building indicating an engine house or works.
The yard was bought by Armstrong Whitworth in 1928 to cope with their increased business, and was amalgamated into the Mitchell shipyard which was located directly north. Armstrong inherited three berths, meaning nine were available thereon.
More info can be seen on the Armstrong record for the Mitchell yard (WLK004)
Ordnance Survey, 1899
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by