Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Edward Robson operated a small boatyard near Pan Ash Quay at South Shields in the late 1820s and 30s.
Little more is known about the yard, but he produced rigged wooden vessels and small tugs in a small yard with a slipway which was directly adjacent to the Stanhope & Tyne coal staiths.
A newspaper clipping from 1830 states Mr Robson went bankrupt, however he did continue constructing vessels both here and later at North Shields until at least 1833.
The yard is shown on the 1850s Ordnance Survey map as Robson's Quay and was still in use as a boat building yard in the 1890s. However, the later history is speculative and cannot be confirmed.
Ordnance Survey, 1896
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by