Cuthbert Bros. (1837 - 1871)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Cuthbert's Yard was neatly sandwiched between the yards of Fairle's and the Middle Docks in the middle and latter half of the 19th century.
The Young's may have operated a yard elsewhere as a notice was posted in 1818 advising they will be carrying on the work at Nicholson's West Dock. This yard sole produced rigged vessels at first, but did construct a couple of wooden paddle steamers by the end of their tenure.
The yard can be seen on the 1857 Ordnance Survey adjacent to a dry dock, which featured a saw pit, warehouse and 4 cranes. The site is now residential housing.
Ordnance Survey, 1857
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by