top of page
smallblue.png

SS006

Tyne

South Shields

Spring Lane, Repair Yard

South Shields

54.998322, -1.439619

Useful Links:

Opened:

Closed:

Owners:

Unknown

Types built here:

N/A

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

Estimated Output:

Construction Materials:

Status:

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

13/06/23

Description

A small ship repair yard was located on Spring Lane, connected to the graving dock formerly owned by Forsythe's. The dock was shown on lease in an excerpt from the Shields Daily News of September 1880, so it likely dates some time after this.

Alongside the graving dock, the yard featured a travelling crane alongside a number of stationary units and was adjacent to a number of breweries. The yard is still extant by the 1910s.

The site has been redeveloped for housing.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logo0623.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page