John Winlo, Peter Winlo
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
This is the site of the Winlo shipyard, which was operated by John & Peter after a short stink at Howdon in the early 1840s.
The first reference to their yard is in 1865, when the Enterprise launched from the "Stanhope Drops" in 1865. They were in operation until around 1888 making small vessels and tugs. Later in the 1890s a small ship repair yard is depicted at the site, and closed before the large graving dock was constructed.
The yard featured two cranes though no slipways or the like. It stands on the site of the old Stanhope drops which were demolished by the time was the repair yard was in operation.
The site was consumed by the graving dock.
Ordnance Survey, 1896
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by