South Shields, Raft Yard
Edwards Family (1821 - 1899)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
A boat builders yard is shown on the 1850s town plan of South Shields at this location. Illustrated is a boat builders' workshop, cranes, an engine house, saw mill, steamer and multiple saw pits.
This was likely part of the Edwards Shipyard, operated by the family until the extensive construction of the High Docks and the Readheads Graving Dock in the 1890s. A shipyard had been present here from around 1788, and in 1818 consisted of a "dry dock, wooden shipbuilding yard and a fine dwelling house".
The Edwards family took over the yard in 1821 and did so through to 1894.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by