George Davison (1800), George & Edward Dawson (1801 - 1828)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Dawson's shipyard was located close to the Low Lights on the riverbank at South Shields. Little is known about the Dawson's, but they had operated in the first few decades of the 1800s building rigged wooden vessels for local merchants.
Their work had gained a sufficient reputation to leave a legacy - The site continued to be known as Dawson's Quay into the 1850s when shipbuilding had mostly ceased in the area.
Ordnance Survey, 1865. Surveyed 1858
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by