Limekiln Shore, Floating Dock
Morrison & Fawcus
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
A floating dock was located near the Smith shipyard in the 1850s. A piece from the Newcastle Guardian confirms a license was granted to Morrison & Fawcus to place a floating dock here.
It appears they were the sole operators of the dock for at least a decade. An 1858 advertisement shows off its use at the floating dock, which was still a rarity on the Tyne by this point. They constructed the Wellesley, a wooden barque, in 1854 for a local merchant.
The dock can be seen on the Ordnance Survey of 1865, which was surveyed in 1858. It is shown between the Bull Ring Dock and the New Dock as a rectangular structure separate from the riverbank. It was fairly substantial in size, and will have suited large vessels.
They were in operation until at least 1864, as this is the last recorded mention of the floating dock. However, unfortunately we don't know of any other vessels constructed here.
By the 1890s the whole area was redeveloped with larger graving docks and yards.
Ordnance Survey, 1865. Surveyed 1858
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by