Limekiln Shore, Smith's Shipyard
Thomas Smith, William Smith
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
The first of Smiths' shipyards stood on Limekilns Shore in North Shields.
It was a covered berth, which meant the owners could achieve a higher Lloyd's vessel classification and further enhance their reputation. It was constructed in 1839 of timber and glass panelling. The berth was removed in 1890 with the expansion of the shipyard - the docks which are still extant today.
This shipyard produced vessels across various industries and for a plethora of customers. Wooden barques and snow ships were their predominant staple at first, but later developed iron steamships, gunboats and screw steamers for governments, navies and merchants.
Smith's later expanded into the Bull Ring Docks area.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by