top of page



St Peters

Rogerson's Shipyard


54.965369, -1.576985

Useful Links:






L Kirkup & Co. (1857) John Rogerson (1859 - 1869)

Types built here:

Barque, Tug, Paddle Steamer

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

United Steam Tug Co Ltd

Estimated Output:


Construction Materials:




Last Updated:



This is one of the few shipyards that operated at what is now St Peter's Basin.

Though it is likely to be much older, potentially ran by a Mr Matthew Plummer in 1856, the first confirmed owner evident is Leopold Kirkup who began constructing paddle steamers and rigged iron vessels in 1857. It was around this time that the first Ordnance Survey was being completed in the area, and shows a large open yard with 3 rectangular buildings enclosing it. It does not appear there were any slips or docks. One of Kirkup's vessels, the Mary Rogerson, was constructed for the next owner of the yard John Rogerson. The Barque shipped petroleum as well as other goods buy may have been the first to ship petroleum from America to Europe in 1863.

Building ceased at the yard in 1857, with John Rogerson taking the reins from 1859 for the next decade. Rogerson primarily built tugs and steamers for the Tyne General Ferry Co. Some were still operating on the Tyne into the 1900s. Rogerson constructed rigged iron vessels and ferries until 1864.

From thereon it appears Rogerson only undertook vessel repairs, according to various advertisements until this year. For example, a barque named the Amy Roberts was towed up to Rogerson's yard after being wrecked at the Black Middens some months before June 1865. It was still referenced as a boat building yard at this point. An advertisement in 1867 documents the repairs of iron and wood ships and steamers at the yard. At this time the Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. had bought the yard, but it appears Rogerson was still undertaking work here while the Tyne Iron Co. utilised the dock further east.

Hawthorn's later took over the site and redeveloped it, covering the yard and making use of the space for marine engines. There is no trace of the dock today.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ordnance Survey, 1859

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page