Glasshouse Bridge, Shipyard
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
An area next to the Glasshouse Bridge on the North Shore was home to the A&R Hopper Shipyard.
The owners were Ambrose and Richard Hopper, for whom Ambrose was the senior. In 1846 he advertised the shipyard for further orders, citing its longevitity and its convenience with it located in prime Newcastle.
They had constructed a Nelson Patent slipway at the site, which can be seen on the first edition Ordnance Survey. It was located on Nelson Street (which no longer exists, but used to curve up to the Glasshouse Bridge) alongside a number of ancillary buildings and what appears to be a smaller slip next to the Spital Tongues Staiths. The yard closed around 1870 though the dock remained for some years until the construction of the Rotterdam, Hamburg and Malmo Wharves.
The now tidy and uniform Quayside is still formed from the construction of these docks so would be unrecognisable today as previously this area will be formed of docks, slips and potentially banks.
Ordnance Survey, 1859
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by