top of page
smallblue.png

LEM001

Tyne

Bells Close

Oliver's Shipyard

Lemington

54.973445, -1.705497

Useful Links:

Opened:

Closed:

1868

Owners:

Oliver, Tyne Iron Co. (1867-68)

Types built here:

Steam Lighter

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

Joblings of Bells Close, Matthew H Atkinson

Estimated Output:

3

Construction Materials:

Iron

Status:

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

12/06/23

Description

A boatyard owned by Oliver was situated at Bells Close in the mid 19th century.

It consisted of a fairly large jetty on the bank of the river and was close to the site of Stella North Power Station. A paddle boat was constructed here named "Jabez Bunting" after the Methodist minister at Bells Close. Another 2 vessels were built here in the 1860s - "Lemington Antelope" and "Harry Kelley". They were constructed by the Tyne Iron Co, which was owned by Bulmer & Co. The Harry Kelley was the first Steam Lighter to be built on the Tyne.

The history of the yard after 1868 is not known, and no visible trace can be seen on the 1890s maps.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logo0623.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page