Palmers Shipbuilding Works
Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co. Ltd. (1852 - 1933) Palmers Hebburn Co. Ltd. (1934 - 1973) National Shipbuilders Security Ltd.
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Wood, Iron, Steel
The shipyard which became Palmers Jarrow was initally a wood building yard, though it is not known who the owner was at this time. It was subsumed into Palmers in the early 1850s, and was converted into a yard devoted to building iron ships.
Though the yard focused on colliers and screw steamers, almost every vessel imaginable was built here including troopships, destroyers, submarines and yachts. The 1890s maps show an huge and expansive complex filled with miles of tramway and sidings. It was entirely self sufficient, with every section of the supply chain on site, from the extraction of ore from the Palmers' ironstone mines in North Yorkshire to the finished product at the end of the line.
There was an engine builders here too, established in 1853 and 1857. The Bede Metals Co nearby was established in 1862 which supplied copper to the shipyard. It was the only shipyard in the coutnry in the 1860s where this was done. In 1906, the famous electric overhead trolley cranes were constructed, found on elliptical gantries providing a more efficient and condusive construction process.
By 1933 the site was closed and acquired by National Shipbuilders Security Ltd. The dry dock was retained by Palmers Hebburn Ltd, owned by Vickers Armstrong.
These days there is little indicator of the shipyard apart from the remnants on the river side. The mouth of the slipway, graving docks and the older mid 19th century slips can still be seen. The modern photo below is a helpful navigator for what can still be found.
Ordnance Survey, 1917
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by