Tyne Improvement Commission, Repair Yard
Tyne Improvement Commission, William Press Ltd.
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
The Tyne Improvement Commission, formed by Royal Assent in 1850, were in charge of maintaining the Tyne to allow safe access for ships through dredging, and to improve the channel also.
The site at Howdon was built over Howdon Dock and Howdon Pans shipyard to repair their ferries, dregers and barges. They did also construct their own vessels in the first decade of their inception, though this was later contracted out to other shipbuilders on the Tyne. In the 1890s there was a subtantial dock enclosed with stone walls and a riverside pier. There is also two repair slipways and mooring dolphins, which held vessels stabled for attention.
The yard was taken over by William Press Ltd in the 80s, who worked on offshore platforms similar to the work undertaken today. The site has been filled in and part of the Port of Tyne.
Ordnance Survey, 1916
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by