top of page
smallblue.png

GD009

Tyne

South Shore

Summers Shipyard

Gateshead

54.967956, -1.604058

Useful Links:

Opened:

1787

Closed:

1803

Owners:

John Summers (1787 - 1803)

Types built here:

Brigantine, Schooner, Snow

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

Estimated Output:

19

Construction Materials:

Wood

Status:

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

11/06/23

Description

John Summers operated a shipyard at South Shore between 1787 and 1803. 19 were built at Hillgate, which was at this time a central shipbuilding area on Tyneside. As the Quayside has seen significant change, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the shipyard.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Bielby's Plan of Newcastle and Gateshead of 1788. Though the map isn't detailed enough to illustrate the specific shipyards, it at least provides a taster to the area in the 18th century. Source: British Library

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logo0623.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page