top of page
smallblue.png

GD006

Tyne

South Shore

Headlam's Shipyard

Gateshead

54.968954, -1.600064

Useful Links:

Opened:

1750

Closed:

1798

Owners:

Headlam & Co.

Types built here:

Snow

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

Estimated Output:

8

Construction Materials:

Wood

Status:

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

11/06/23

Description

The Headlam shipyard was one of the most dominant on Tyneside in the mid to late 18th century, even while the industry moved eastwards. The family had enormous influence on Tyneside too even in the 20th century. Thomas Emmerson Headlam was the owner of this shipyard. His son was the Archdeacon of Richmond and his grandson was also Thomas Emerson Headlam, who was a renowned barrister and politician. He became the Liberal MP for Newcastle in 1847.

The largest vessel built on the Tyne so far, the "Russell", was constructed by Headlam's in 1750. It was still a relatively small and timber vessel, capable of carrying 30 keels of coal.

The exact site of the yard is not known, but was between what is now the Tyne Bridge and Saltmeadows.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Bielby's Plan of Newcastle and Gateshead of 1788. Though the map isn't detailed enough to illustrate the specific shipyards, it at least provides a taster to the area in the 18th century. Source: British Library

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logo0623.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page