Tyne Main, Shipyard
Robson & Gray, Gaddy & Lamb
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
The earliest reference to a shipbuilding site here is in 1827, with Wood's Plan of Gateshead showing the shipyard labelled as "Robson and Gray", who had constructed vessels for local merchants here. It is more as the Gaddy & Lamb shipyard who operated here until 1892.
They produced mainly wooden sailing ships (though there were a couple of iron vessels made here) for local merchants though some were made further afield. The 1890s maps show the two slipways at the site with limited facilities apart froma crane.
An illustration likely from the mid 19th century also shows the two slipways alongside an engine house and small crane.
Ordnance Survey, 1916
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by