Armstrong, Mitchell & Co. (1885 - 1897), Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. (1897 - 1920)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Wood, Iron, Steel
The riverside at Elswick was the site of Armstrong's predominantly military shipyard between 1897 and 1920.
It formed part of the huge Armstrong Works which stretched all the way to Scotswood, constructed almost anything you can think of from tractors to locomotives. A works was first established here in 1846 to produce hydraulic cranes, but continually developed into a substantial armaments works. From 1867 ships were moved here to add the armaments from Mitchell's Low Walker Yard. Thanks to their endured relationship they amalgamated as Armstrong Mitchell from 1882.
A year later a shipyard was established at Elswick itself to construct warships next to the Ordnance Works. Mitchell's Low Walker Yard focused predominantly on merchant vessels from thereon. Ships were constructed for navies in every corner of the world, with the first being for Austro-Hungary but stretched to Brazil, Chile, Italy, Norway, Japan and others.
By 1912 the constraints at Elswick and the clearance of the Tyne Bridge, a new yard was established at High Walker. As a result, the Elswick Works only handled uncompleted orders and submarines during WWI.
The carrier Eagle, formed from an uncompleted Chilean battleship, was the last order completed here in 1918.
Ordnance Survey, 1920
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by