Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
According to John Wallace in his History of Blyth, Mark Watson had a shipyard situated at the limekilns near Cowpen Square. It appears some sources have the builder down as Matthew - unless there was a family partnership this is likely to be the same person.
This shipyard had been operating by 1787 as at least 3 ships are known to have been constructed here: two sloops and a brigantine in the late 1780s. Little else is known, though by the end of the century Mark Watson had built a dry dock at Kings Lynn, with the first vessel entering for repairs in 1796. Watson was probably also part of the famous Blyth family who owned Cowpen House (https://www.northeastheritagelibrary.co.uk/features/Cowpen-House)
There is no other record of owners or shipyards here. It is possible Watson was the only builder here, with the limekilns built soon after.
The Blyth High Ferry later departed from this site. Curiously a structure continues to appear at the site into the 1890s in the shape of a slipway.
Ordnance Survey, 1858
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by