top of page

Blaydon, Gateshead

The Black Bull, Blaydon

Last Updated:

24 Apr 2023

Blaydon, Gateshead

This is a


54.9662460489116, -1.7179140384164406

Founded in 

18th c

Current status is


Designer (if known):


The inn is still operating

"This building is of character and interest, having a certain presence set back from the road on a key east-west route, with a curiously asymmetrical façade and traditional materials. It was rebuilt at the turn of the 20th century for R Newton.

Constructed in the by then prolific red brick, it still incorporates detailing in the local sandstone in the form of lintel and cill string courses and substantial mullions between window pairs to the first floor. A curved façade was incorporated into the design when the pub was rebuilt, in a similar manner to the Highlander at Swalwell. However this was later removed as the building was remodelled, but what appears to be the original, attractively detailed stained glass has been reinstated, although perhaps set in different frames.

The original 6-over-1 sashes still grace the 1st floor, with the shallow-pitched Welsh slate roof and cast iron rainwater goods completing the picture of the end of the era of Victorian charm. The soaring, deeply corniced chimneys are of particular interest as they add a light, cheerful note, and create balance with the horizontal emphasis of the lengthy frontage, as do the unusual slim 6-panel doors." - Sitelines

NEHL - It’s not really as it was rebuilt, but the Black Bull name is the oldest in Blaydon. It’s seen on an 1825 map of what was then a village. It was only a small cottage inn then. In 1856 the landlady was Eleanor Birket.

Auctions took place here as per a newspaper piece in the Gateshead Observer in 1860. A certain Mr Urwin was in declining business, and sold a quantity of his household and business furniture at the pub to raise funds.

A report in 1890 states there was a quoits ground adjacent to the pub, with competitions often taking place here. This is alongside the inn being a meeting place for sports clubs. The Blaydon Amateur Cycling Club held their AGM's at the inn - their president being Mr John Dodds in 1895.

Listing Description (if available)

The Black Bull Inn can be seen on their early map of Blaydon from 1825. It was once the centre of the settlement, hence the importance of the inn with sports clubs, societies and organisations congregating here. It was enveloped by cramped dwellings and industry.

The second map dates from 1862, having surveyed the area in 1856. The inn can be seen on the main road just to the east of Blaydon Burn. The Blaydon Burn waggonway can be seen close by, featuring the numerous sidings at the Fire Brick Works.

The inn can be seen labelled as "P.H" on the centre of this map. Blaydon had grown rapidly on all sides, with dense terraces around the station to the east and quaint cottages up Summerhill to the west. The railway further expanded with a quay.


An undated shot of the inn. The bow facade can be seen as well as an ornate chimney or ventilation chamber on the roof. Source: Newcastle Libraries


Photo of the Black Bull Inn in 2023


bottom of page