top of page

Killingworth, North Tyneside

Killingworth Colliery (East)

Last Updated:

2 Jun 2020

Killingworth, North Tyneside

This is a


55.030701, -1.553186

Founded in 

18th Century

Current status is


Designer (if known):


Site is now a public park. Various monuments to the colliery can be seen.

Killingworth Colliery was arguably one of the most pivotal and important mines to serve the country. This particular colliery in focus is the one to the east of the village which opened pre-1806, so much older than its neighbours.

The pit was owned by Lord Ravensworth, a Tory politician and industrialist, who employed George Stephenson to operate at the West Moor pit, which is the village south.

This particular site closed towards the end of the 19th century, and even in the first edition the Waggonway directing to the site had been lifted, leaving only the line to West Moor. Not too much is known about the original colliery as much more focus is found on the West Moor site, due to it being the home of Locomotive Number Two etc. This colliery is nevertheless important being its predecessor.

In the early 19th century the colliery was a scene of two substantial mining disasters in 1806 and 1809. We pay our respects to them for putting their lives on the line for the advancement of our region. The link to the names are here :

Listing Description (if available)

The maps above illustrate the site of the original Killingworth Colliery pit to the east of the old village. The site isn't big, and even by the first edition the waggonway has been dismantled in favour of further development of the West Moor pit. The pit closed within the latter half of the 19th century as on the second edition the pit is designated as 'Old Pit'. The site still features some of its buildings, albeit likely ruined, and a small pond.

The site is still labelled even over 3 decades after its closure, signifying its legacy in the village. Not much is left of it, though like previously some small buildings still remain. By this point also the West Moor pit has closed, leaving no coal workings in the immediate area.


Illustration of Killingworth Colliery, 1850. The image shows the workings with a couple of ruined buildings surrounding it. This is quite late into the colliery's lifespan. As seen above the waggonway had closed around this point and the development of the collieries by this owner had been focused on West Moor. Two children and a dog can be seen playing in the foreground.

Retrieved from Co-Curate



bottom of page