top of page


Curley's (The Phoenix) Public House

Last Updated:

20 Oct 2023


This is a


54.961341, -1.600489

Founded in 

18th c

Current status is


Designer (if known):


Locally Listed

Curley’s on Gateshead High St is significant for a number of reasons. Away from the c1900 pub extension, this is a house dating way back to the late 18th century - the earliest on the whole street.

The pub, dating as early as 1873, was originally called The Phoenix. It has been renamed after its previous landlord Will Curley - a boxer originally born in Walker who became featherweight champion of Britain. Incredibly in the mid 19th century, it was located in front of a large quarry which occupied the area between Grahamsley Street and Charles Street.

A year before winning his title in Newcastle in 1900, he’d competed in New York against George Dixon. Dixon, nicknamed “Little Chocolate”, was featherweight champion of the world and fought many times in Newcastle himself.

Listing Description (if available)

(Local Listing description) These three houses are of late C18 or circa 1800 {2}. DESCRIPTION / STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE This block of buildings is one of the earliest remaining on the High Street, and still retains its original form despite alterations. A 3 storey terrace of buildings including accommodation above and commercial premises to the fore, they are constructed of brick with stone lintels and cill bands and a partially remaining hipped Welsh slate roof. The early sash windows, without horns, are still in place to the northern end of the terrace, where there is also a good quality public house front of circa 1900, which contributes greatly to the interest of an already historically significant building. It is of elegant proportions with large panel engraved windows interspersed with timber pilasters sporting decorative arched capitals This building has suffered from settlement in the past, in all probability in relation to old coal workings which were a feature of the area. This is shown in the tie plates to the walls and the bowing of the walls. The adjacent premises have housed the local temperance bar, in the hands of the Law family, for 5 generations. It still retains a marble bar, and still serves sarsaparilla to Gateshead residents past and present. Internally there are some interesting and significant surviving features, such as panelling to windows, deep skirtings and cornicing, which indicate a date of around the turn of the 19th century. New cellar for Steel, Coulson & Co 1908/60 MATERIALS Brick, sandstone, timber DATES c1790 – 1800? ADDITIONAL INFORMATION In 1874/5 there was a cabinet maker at no. 270 and a provision merchant in 271-4. The pub was previously called the Phoenix (from at least 1873) but was commonly known as Curleys after early 20th century licensee Will Curley (who was a boxer) and later officially changed its name. James Lamb owner in 1870s. LOCAL LIST (Important to note the other two houses have now been demolished)

There is only subtle difference in density between Gateshead of the 1860s and Gateshead of the 1910s. Though many of the buildings had been demolished and replaced, the Holy Trinity Church ( remained as a central pillar of the town through these decades. The Phoenix is located in front of the quarry as a corner dwelling on the 1862 map, though this was cleared by the 1890s. Gateshead had already heavily densified by the early 19th century given its status as a town on the Great North Road and the various industries that lined the river. This is aided by the sheer extent of terraces, public houses and developing amenities into the 20th century. Theatres, schools and more chapels all popped up at this time.

Course, much of the open space had been replaced. The allotment areas around Park Lane were gone in the late 19th century.

The pub was embedded on the patchwork of Victorian and 20th century buildings along the high street in the 30s, neighbouring such amenities as a cinema, at least 4 pubs in the immediate area and the long winding tram system which traversed the whole of Gateshead by this stage. The area was booming, but started to get incredibly dense and busy. Only a couple of decades later much of what we see was demolished for the highway, in an attempt to mitigate further traffic issues.


The late 18th/early 19th century shell is easily identified around the late 19th century public house extension in this shot from 2023.


The earliest known photo of the Phoenix from the early 20th century. The pub is on the left. Unknown source.


A more familiar sight when the pub was called The Phoenix. Unknown source.

bottom of page