Burradon Colliery Railway
55.034309, -1.573955 to 55.045830, -1.573812
23 Aug 2022
23 Aug 2022
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - A single track railway connected Burradon Colliery to both West Moor and the East Coast Main Line from its infacy to its closure in 1975. At first, it ran as an extension from West Moor Colliery, the working where Stephenson innovated his locomotives from his workshop nearby. This stretch was entirely single track, crossing through what is now Killingworth Lake in a straight northerly direction. At some point in the 19th century, the decision was made to branch off the railway to Killingworth Station, and join the East Coast Main Line for more efficient service. The line also connected to the Seaton Burn Waggonway just south of Burradon village. The railway closed with the pit in the 1970s.
Most of the route is still walkable, though the southern section has obviously become Killingworth Lake. It is tarmac'd over and weaves from the nearby housing estates, making for a pleasant albeit sceneless view as both sides are covered by fences throughout.
Ordnance Survey, 1897
The railway is visible on the centre of this aerial shot from Burradon Colliery.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Looking northwards on the old railway track, now a footpath.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by