top of page
full size.png

wp001a

West Pelton Colliery

Pelton

54.860386, -1.640311

Alma Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1858

1921

Entry Created:

11 May 2023

Last Updated:

11 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

James Joicey & Co. (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The West Pelton Alma Pit was located on the banks of the Twizell Burn between the mid 19th century and the 1920s, though a drift in the area did continue until the 50s.

It is shown on the map of 1857 when it was sunk and under construction, showing a water engine, the main pit building and a small pit pond. It was connected by rail to the Pontop & South Shields Railway by the Pelton West Waggonway.

By the 1890s the site had expanded, featuring a brick works and a village which had developed to accomodate the workers and their families. The brick works was opened in 1872 and were stamped "Joicey West Pelton". Grange Villa radiated north, and a post office as well as gasometers for the local supply were built here.

Nowadays, the site has been cleared and is non descript, though the pit village that was built from it partly survives. Grange Villa was placed in category D under the Durham County Development Plan.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Alma Pit is shown on this undated postcard alongside the Joicey brickworks

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page