top of page
full size.png

wkr01a

Monkchester Road, coal shaft

Walker

54.972924, -1.563089

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1850s

Entry Created:

10 Jul 2024

Last Updated:

10 Jul 2024

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1858. By this time it was disused, so was likely either a ventilation shaft for the High Pit, St Lawrence, St Anthony's, Walker Colliery or the Lawson Main workings near Byker Hill.

The shaft was capped and covered by the 1890s. This was when the shoots of Walker as we know it started, as Welbeck Road first started to be developed.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page