top of page
full size.png

witp03a

Witton Park Farm, coal shaft

Witton Park

54.666654, -1.746441

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

19th c

Entry Created:

2 Feb 2024

Last Updated:

2 Feb 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft was located between Witton Park Farm and Witton Park House from at least the mid 19th century, but remained disused into the 1940s. It is not known if this was an individual working or connected to Witton Park Old Colliery directly south.

Ordnance Survey, 1859

Ordnance Survey, 1859

The shaft can be seen on aerial imagery from the 1940s. The small cluster in the centre of this shot featured the shaft. Source: Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page