top of page
full size.png

witp01a

Etherley Colliery

Witton Park

54.664757, -1.715549

Old Etherley Colliery

George Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

1900s

Entry Created:

30 Jan 2023

Last Updated:

30 Jan 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Henry Stobart & Co. (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Old Etherley George Pit Stood between Witton Park and Escomb on the Darlington & Consett line between circa 1850s and the 1900s, but stood disused through the 1910s. The pit was extensive, with at least 3 rows of coke ovens and a number of sidings with a waste heap to the north of the working. Employment stabilised at around 500 between the 1890s and 1900s which shows its significance to the local area.

There was a small tramway from the shaft to California constructed after 1896. The maps do not show what to, though may be a later drift mine. It later became a reservoir.

The pit is shown as disused on the Ordnance Survey revised in 1915.

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Ordnance Survey, 1897

George Pit, Etherley undated. What appears to be a signal box can be seen on the left, so this shot may be looking north with the railway line in the foreground. Unknown original source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page