top of page
full size.png

widd01b

Widdrington Colliery

Widdrington

55.256439, -1.620219

Sisters Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1873

1900s

Entry Created:

9 Aug 2022

Last Updated:

9 Aug 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

William Barkus (1860s), Widdrington Coal Co. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Widdrington Colliery operated two collieries along a stretch of colliery railway from the East Coast Main Line. Sisters Pit was the younger of the two, and operated until around the 1900s or early 1910s. A community had been built round this pit which has since disappeared, including a Methodist Chapel and a school.

There was also a ropeway for carrying coal to the screens.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page