top of page
full size.png

widd01a

Widdrington Colliery

Widdrington

55.255557, -1.629600

Isabella Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1869

1880s

Entry Created:

9 Aug 2022

Last Updated:

9 Aug 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

William Barkus (1860s), Widdrington Coal Co. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Widdrington Colliery operated two collieries along a stretch of colliery railway from the East Coast Main Line. Isabella Pit was the elder of the two, having already been disused by the 1890s. A community had been built round this pit which has since disappeared, including a Methodist Chapel and a school.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page