Churchill Street, coal shaft
21 Nov 2023
21 Nov 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - A coal shaft was located on the far south end of Churchill Street in the latter half of the 19th century. It was previously known as Copperas Lane, and does not appear on the maps dating from the 1850s.
There are sadly no indicators as to who owned it and when it was operational, though the shaft may still have been in situ in the 1940s as per aerial imagery. A group of 3 trees indicates where the shaft is located today, with the housing development constructed around the shaft, presumably to avoid any extra hazard.
It may have been a ventilation shaft for a nearby working.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
The site of the shaft in 2023
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The shaft is in the small bushy cluster in the centre of this aerial shot from 1946. Source: Historic England Photograph: raf_3g_tud_uk_125_v_5123 flown 04/04/1946
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by