top of page
full size.png

wgtn01a

Churchill Street, coal shaft

Howdon

54.997184, -1.503200

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

19th c

Entry Created:

21 Nov 2023

Last Updated:

21 Nov 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft was located on the far south end of Churchill Street in the latter half of the 19th century. It was previously known as Copperas Lane, and does not appear on the maps dating from the 1850s.

There are sadly no indicators as to who owned it and when it was operational, and the site had been built on by 1946. It may have been a ventilation shaft for a nearby working.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

The site of the coal shaft in 2023

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page