top of page
full size.png

wate01

Stanley Colliery

Waterhouses

54.744904, -1.738795

Josephine Pit

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

1911

Entry Created:

18 Dec 2022

Last Updated:

18 Dec 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

J.W. Pease & Partners (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Stanley Colliery adjoined the Darlington and Consett line via an incline at this spot, which is now fully wooded. It was fairly large, with its own internal tramway complex to the heaps and a drift to the north of the site. There were a number of pit rows named North Row, West Row and Stanley Cottages. A large number of coke ovens were also laid at the west of the site. Nowadays the pit is fully wooded.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page