top of page
full size.png

wacfd03a

Black Horse Colliery

Wackerfield

54.600182, -1.772707

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

1925

Entry Created:

7 May 2024

Last Updated:

7 May 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Lowson Brothers (1900s), Jos. McLauchlan Ltd. (1920s), Morley Colliery Co. Ltd. (1920s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Black Horse Colliery stood in fields adjacent to what is now the A688, north of Wackerfield. It was presumably named after the Black Horse Public House around a few hundred metres east, and featured a small internal tramway connecting a vertical shaft and horizontal drifts at the northern boundary of the complex. There were 4 above ground buildings, with a coal shaft opened on the site of a well (unless the map has mistaken the well).

By the 1930s, all trace of this working had disappeared except the waste heap and traces of the drifts. From satellite imagery, it doesn't look like anything remains today and have returned to farmland.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page