top of page
full size.png

w067b

Hunwick Colliery

Bishop Auckland

54.689224, -1.691912

Opened:

Closed:

pre-1850s

1921

Entry Created:

20 Apr 2023

Last Updated:

20 Apr 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Robson & Jackson (1850s), R. W. Jackson (1850s), West Hartlepool Harbour & Railway Co. (1860s), Hunwick Coal Co. (1860s), Bolckow Vaughan (1870s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Hunwick Colliery was a fairly substantial complex neighbouring West Hunwick Colliery and the railway line from Durham to Bishop Auckland. The pit employed 419 people at its greatest extent in 1883, with workers likely commuting on the railway from Bishop Auckland to Hunwick Station. There was an internal tramway network leading to sizeable waste heaps. There was also a single track waggonway which led to Newfield Colliery across the Wear.

It was one of the mainly collieries involved in the Bolckow Vaughan supply chain.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page