top of page
full size.png

w053

Woodifield Colliery

Crook

54.711622, -1.753394

Opened:

Closed:

1843

1930s

Entry Created:

27 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

T. C. Gibson (1840s), Bolckow Vaughan (1850s), Woodifield Coal Co. Ltd. (1910s), Steels House Colliery Co. Ltd. (1930s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Woodifield is another colliery, the property of Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan & Co., who are working the Constantine, Ballarat, Little Seam, and the Two Foot. The two former are worked by drifts, and the latter two by shafts, at a depth of 15 fathoms. The output is about 200 tons per day, and the number of men and boys employed is nearly 200. Low Bitchburn Colliery, a little to the south west of Crook, gives employment to about 180, and is working the "Main Coal", 4 feet 6 inches ; "Top Main," 2 feet ; "Little Busty," 1 foot 8 inches ; and the "Big "Busty," 3 feet, by drifts, making and output of about 200 tons daily. This is entirely converted into coke."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page