2 Aug 2022
2 Aug 2022
Joseph Pease & Partners (1859), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
"At the Waterhouses Colliery, which was sunk in 1856, are wrought the "Brockwell," 3 ft. thick, and the "Busty," 2 ft. 4 in. The "Yard" coal and the "Harvey" have recently been opened out. The output is all converted into coke, there being over 200 ovens here, and in all there are 600 men and boys employed. These seams are worked by four drifts."
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Waterhouses Colliery, undated. Found on Durham Mining Communities, original source unknown.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by