full size.png

u001a

Urpeth Colliery

Urpeth

54.884051, -1.607408

Low Urpeth Colliery

Opened:

1835

Closed:

1957

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

19 Jul 2022

Owners: 

Hunt & Co. (1850s), Hunt, Perkins & Co. (1860s), Pelaw Main Collieries (1880s), E. M. Perkins & Partners (1880s), Charles Perkins & Partners (1890s), Birtley Iron Co. (1910s), Pelaw Main Collieries Co. (1920s), National Coal Board (1947)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

"The coal royalties of this township [Urpeth] are worked by the Birtley Iron Company, who are at present working the Five Quarter, Low Main, and Busty seams at the Busty pit. The Five Quarter is 27 fathoms deep and 3 feet thick ; the Low Main varies from 2 feet 10 inches to 3 feet 9 inches, and is 37 fathoms ; the Busty, 115 fathoms, is 5 feet thick. There are 300 men and boys employed, including those at the coke ovens, where a large quantuty of the output, 470 tons per day, is converted into coke. At the C pit the Hutton seam is wrought at a depth of 65 fathoms ; the Low Main is also working here. This pit, which employs 350 men, has a daily yield of 450 tons, and is extensively lighted by electricity."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Ordnance Survey, 1896

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Urpeth Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0