top of page
full size.png

trim02a

Trimdon Colliery

New Trimdon

54.715808, -1.412827

Opened:

Closed:

1840

pre-1914

Entry Created:

8 Aug 2023

Last Updated:

8 Aug 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Thomas Wood, Gully & Burrell (1850s), T. Wood & Co. (1860s), Trimdon Coal Co. (1880s), Walter Scott Ltd. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"The Colliery was opened about fifty years ago, and is now worked by the Trimdon Coal Company. The Main seam is five feet in thickness, and the Low seam 3 feet 8 inches. The latter is at a depth of 120 fathoms."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

NEHL - Trimdon Colliery, despite being older than Trimdon Grange Colliery, only worked for around 75 years having closed before 1914. It was a large complex at its, taking up a vast amount of land south west of the village which was built adjacent. However, from the outset it was much smaller than neighbouring Trimdon Grange, with around 2 ancillary buildings, conveyor house and engine house. Two substantial pit heaps are also illustrated on the 1856 survey, next to two branches which connected to either side of the North Eastern Railway branch to Hartlepool.

A large pit village saw at least a dozen rows, a number of public houses, a theatre and places of worships to the pitmen and their families. All denominations were accounted for. Trimdon Station was also constructed thanks to the size of the village.

Despite the pit closing fairly early, the shafts and pit heaps remained well into the 40s, and the village likely became feeder towns to local collieries. Housing developments continued at "New Trimdon", though now known as Trimdon.

Ordnance Survey, 1861

Ordnance Survey, 1861

Postcard of Trimdon Colliery Old Pit, undated. Original source unknown.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page