Tanfield Moor Colliery
4 Oct 2022
4 Oct 2022
Earl of Kerry (1768), James Joicey (1850s), James Joicey & Co. Ltd. (1860s), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - The primary earner for James Joicey's Tanfield Moor Collieries was Willy (or Willie) Pit, not too far from Tantobie. It was the earliest to open, dating from 1762 when the Earl of Kerry opened the pit, and the last to close on the eve of nationalisation in 1948. It was still quite a modest pit compared to some in the area though, and thanks to its age was certainly obsolete by the time of its closure. The only known photograph of the pit evidences this. It was connected to the Tanfield Branch of the North Eastern Railway
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Tanfield Moor Colliery, undated. The picture is a very bad quality but still provides an insight into how old this site was. Unknown source.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by