top of page
full size.png

t011a

Tanfield Moor Colliery

Tantobie

54.883042, -1.740479

Conquest Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1768

19th c

Entry Created:

4 Oct 2022

Last Updated:

4 Oct 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Earl of Kerry (1768), James Joicey (1850s), James Joicey & Co. Ltd. (1860s), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Conquest Pit was one of the first of the Tanfield Moor collieries to become defunct. It became an air shaft to the adjacent Willy Pit by the 1850s. Francis Thomas-Fitzmaurice, the 3rd Earl of Kelly, opened the pit in the 1760s as part of his economic portfolio.

Unfortunately maps don't go as far back as when the pit was operating, but it can be seen on the 1861 map a waggonway linking the air shaft to a wider network on the Tanfield Branch.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page