full size.png

sp04a

Tudhoe Grange Colliery

Spennymoor

54.699172, -1.588265

Opened:

1869

Closed:

1885

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2022

Owners: 

Weardale Iron & Coal Co. Ltd.

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

NEHL - This small working could be found at Low Spennymoor between the 1860s and the 1880s, though the facilities, buildings and reservoir lasted much later and can be seen on 1890s and 1910s maps. Aerial photography also shows the reservoir as well as the remains of a few buildings.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0